An unknown error has occurred. Error: 80010108

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Hi, I downloaded the dll, did the same you did on the video.

When running the app in the emulator I get:

An unknown error has occurred. Error: 80010108.

What is wrong?

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Not sure.  The project probably needs to be updated for the RTM bits.  The reason I haven't is because Microsoft has released Bing Ads controls, which is now the preferred way to monetize the applications.

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I also used the source, weird is that debugger didn't point the error.

By Bing ads you mean this? http://advertising.microsoft.com/mobile-apps

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Yep,  your link is correct.  I implemented it and it was brain-dead easy and they are focused on WP7 inventory unlike adMob which would just be serving generic ads. 

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Ok, my mistake. I had this removed from app manifest:

<Capability Name="ID_CAP_WEBBROWSERCOMPONENT"/>

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:48 PM

So now runs, but ad frame is all black. I did create a "Mobile web" site, and use the publisherID... Any idea?

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:52 PM
rgelb wrote:

Yep,  your link is correct.  I implemented it and it was brain-dead easy and they are focused on WP7 inventory unlike adMob which would just be serving generic ads. 

I have the feeling that you can earn more with AdMob as it has more advertisers, is that true?

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:15 PM
The adframe is black because most likely they do not have any inventory to serve in your locale. That happens once in a while even on the iPhone or android. The problem is that they don't focus on wp7 specific inventory, so they have to serve you generi ads and they don't have a lot of those.
Oct 22, 2010 at 9:17 PM
jdbarclay wrote:
rgelb wrote:

I have the feeling that you can earn more with AdMob as it has more advertisers, is that true?

I doubt it because admob will only serve you generic ads which are dirt cheap. Bing ads will actually be focusing on wp7 specific ads which will hopefully pay better.
Oct 23, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I see... thanks.

Only problem with MS ADs is they only support US developers for now...

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Yep, Bing Ads Control is only for US and I don't think there is anything else besides admob for developers outside US to monetize their apps.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Gents, yes, Bing Ads is for US only for now.  I suggest partnering up with a US-based developer that you can trust.  That might be one option.