Can't get this to work

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Various issues:

1. When added to the project and set up into the .xaml file, it just displays a dark color instead of the ad. Solved this by removing the Grid Background in the source code

2. When test=true, the test ad is displayed some pixels below the position it should be displayed.

3. When test=false, it won't bring anything.

And a question (newbie to admob here): in order to use it, the correct way it to create a smartphone website in the admob service/site?

Thanks

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:48 PM
  1. Feel free to submit a patch
  2. I probably need to move to remove the margins or something like that.
  3. Right.  The thing is that Admob doesn't seem to have a lot of (or any) Windows Phone 7 specific inventory.  They mostly cater to iPhone/Android/Mobile websites.  

When you go to Admob, sign up and all that and go to Create Site screen.  There pick the Smartphone Web (or Mobile Web if not available in your country).  You are gonna get the ID, enter it into the application and the ads should start flowing about 24 hours of fairly continuous use of the app.  I think that is the way it works - normally you almost never see any ads in the beginning - with WP7 its even worse.

Feb 21, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Fixed, it works perfectly and displays ads. The only thing that is wrong right now is the display of Greek characters in the ad. I tried adding a meta tag with Greek (iso-8859-7) encoding in the resources file, but this did not seem to work. Any clues?

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:22 PM
  1. I am glad you got it to work.  Could you please send me either a patch or the fixed up project, so that I can update codeplex.  ( rgelb at vbrad.com).  Thanks.
  2. As far as Greek encoding, can you try a known good HTML file with Greek encoding on the browser in WP7?  I've found all kinds of insanity with it during the development.  Could be just more of that.  But, also, I have zero experience with non-english encodings.
Feb 21, 2011 at 8:22 PM

The project is coming over to your mailbox :)

I'll try more with the encoding, I'll let you know!

Thanks a lot for your time :)